Thursday, October 1, 2009

Rob - Rest Day: On Music And Life

So throughout this process I've yet to do any great deal of reflection on how this practice affects my outside life. I guess it's been enough of a change just delving so deep into my practice. Well yesterday, after my generally wonky practice, I got reminded just why I'm doing this. Well, at least one of the many reasons.

I haven't really mentioned much about it but at this point my life is focused into two main areas, yoga and music. Whenever I'm not busy doing yoga related activities there's a 90% chance I'm doing a music related activity. My day job is as Head of Publicity at a music promotions company. I own a small business that does recording/production and also sells recorded music and publishing. On top of that I play bass in a band and compose my own music. I play (in approximate order of proficiency) bass, drums, guitar, piano and voice. I also live in a house with five other musicians. So as you can see music is a HUGE part of my life.

But back to relating this to yoga. Since I first started practicing years ago I noticed the profound affect that my yoga had on my music. I noticed that my instrumental skills increased technically and that I would be suddenly infused with new ideas. I also found a direct parallel between the discipline of yoga practice and the discipline of practicing an instrument. In both cases the more you give the more you get back (to a point of course). To top this off, the confidence and ease that I've learned from yoga has all but eliminated my once immense stage anxiety. I used to tense up horribly on stage but now I let loose and have SO Much fun!

At first I wasn't really sure why all this, but after a few years I think I've gained some insights as to why. Music really is a form of meditation. Years before I became "spiritual" I can recall getting absorbed in my music, coming into incredible flow states. Time seemed to disappear as I connected with my instrument and just let the sounds come out. Since then, as I've learned the incredible focus of yoga and meditation my musical abilities have exploded. The flow state has become a regular occurrence.

So to come back to yesterday, a common passtime in my house is to have open jams in our basement. This is great because most of us play more than one instrument so it gives us a chance to switch it up and play different things. Last night I sat down on the piano (not my main instrument) and JUST PLAYED. Normally I'm a bit hesitant and uncertain, but yesterday my fingers just knew where to go. I made up great chord progressions and melody lines. Most importantly I just let it go. It was wonderful.

After some time my little brother (who lives with me) got tired of playing drums and stepped down. I enthusiastically took his place (drums are my favorite instrument to play). Now if ever there was an instrument that yoga is made to help it's drums. Since starting this project my skills on the drum kit have gotten infinitely better. It really makes sense if you think about it. Asana is all about isolating different parts of your body and making them do independent things in support of each other. Playing drums is just the same! As on the keys I just let it go on the drums. And it was wonderful!

Since starting this practice project I've noticed more and more times like these. Even if I'm not spending as much time practicing my music somehow my time spent practicing yoga compensates for it. It's a strange but incredible correlation.

To summarize and tie this all together, yoga will take whatever you're passionate about it life and help you realize it to its fullest potential. For me this is music. In India music is traditionally taught in the same Guru-Disciple paradigm as yoga is traditionally taught. When a student takes up an instrument it is a life's devotion and is immensely spiritual. Lately I've come to see the logic to this parallel and have been approaching my music, yoga and life as a spiritual devotion.

I think that I will continue to expound on this music parallel as the year goes on. It certainly seems relevant and is absolutely important to me.

Wishing you all happiness and good fortune!

No comments:

Post a Comment